Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Hit and run sentencing - 8.1.07

Barring any breaking news, A story about hit and run sentencing will be Sunday's centerpiece story in The Star.

I will be looking at what Shannon White could receive if convicted of hit and run and involuntary manslaughter. White has been charged with crimes related to the death of Jonathan Scruggs, who was walking home from his first day of work when he was struck and killed on Caleb Road.

Last week, I traveled to Charlotte to talk to a man who was hit while riding his bike on Providence Road. He was in a coma for three weeks, suffered brain damage and might never walk again. The man that hit him and left him on the side of the road received a 10-month sentence.

I will also be looking into proposed legislation that would increase penalties for hit and run drivers.

1 Comments:

Blogger SeaCat said...

Pete, I will be watching for your comments concerning this. I believe there will be a huge outcry from locals if the White man does not receive a much harsher sentence than 10 months!

I don't understand why hit & runs seem to fall through the cracks. I was involved in a hit and run myself and went through three attorneys before I was able to receive medical compensation. The man who hit me was arrested the same day and had a bad driving record, yet had I not been such a fighter, I wouldn not have received a dime. Although I was not seriously injured, I was unable to work for many months and still have problems relating back to the hit & run.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home