Monday, August 06, 2007

Challenging the vehicle tax - 8.6.07


I have a car for sale: A 1999 Hyundai Accent 2-door hatchback for $1,740. That's what the government says its worth.

Have you ever got a vehicle tax notice and thought the total taxable value was a little high...or way high. Well my tax bill said my car is worth $1,740. I guess they don't take into consideration the 135,000 miles, two dents, a few scratches and a worn out interior. (I'm a reporter so the car gets a whole lot of wear.)

The bill said I owe $20.01. It's not that much but it's the principle of the matter. I think I'm going to challenge it. I went to Kelley Blue Book and found that the same car in fair condition is worth $1,100. In excellent condition its worth $1,745. So I'm going to challenge it.

Has anyone here every challenged their vehicle tax bill? Share your story. I will let you know how my adventure turns out.

1 Comments:

Blogger SeaCat said...

I did once, but it was when I was living in SC. I had to go into a room of about 6 people and explain why I felt I was being unfairly taxed. I also had all of the proper documents. They did reduce my tax!

I do not recall the man's name, but you may be able to find the story via google. It's been awhile back, but it was reported that in NC particularly, the tax on vehicles is way too high. ONE MAN does the calculations. I know that sounds wild, and maybe it has changed since I read the story. There was a group of people trying to change things. I don't remember any more about it, but maybe someone else will.

FWIW, each time I have ever been in a commissioner's meeting and someone has been there to ask for more time,etc. they have gotten what they came for, but where do you go to challenge the tax on your car?

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home